Squadron History

About Squadron 25

Cable Composite Squadron 25 began life in 1942 as the Old Baldy Squadron, headquartered at nearby Brackett Field. Lieutenant Dewey Cable, founder of Cable Airport, was the squadron commander from 1942 through 1946. Due to war-time restrictions, Civil Air Patrol aircraft out of Brackett Field were among the only civilian aircraft permitted to fly in Southern California.
Old Baldy Squadron 87
In April of 1951, the Old Baldy Squadron was re-established at its current home of Cable Airport (then called Cable-Claremont Airport), and was designated “Old Baldy Squadron 87.” The squadron initially held meetings in the airport tower building.

In June of 1951, the squadron was issued its first airplane – a 185 horsepower Fairchild monoplane.

The following year, the Air Force issued the squadron an L-16, the military version of the Aeronca Champ.

Squadron members in front of the newly issued L-16
Squadron members in front of the newly issued L-16

In June of 1951, the squadron was issued its first airplane – a 185 horsepower Fairchild monoplane.

The following year, the Air Force issued the squadron an L-16, the military version of the Aeronca Champ.

construction of the Quonset hut
In 1953, three Quonset huts that saw wartime service in the South Pacific Theatre were trucked from Port Hueneme Naval Base to Cable Airport. Members of the Old Baldy Squadron reassembled these huts on the airport grounds near 13th Street and repurposed one of them as their new squadron headquarters. The Quonset hut would serve as squadron headquarters until 2002 when the squadron relocated to its current building on the east side of the airport.
In 1956, discussions of a merger with nearby Pomona Squadron began. On November 15th, 1961, the National Board of Civil Air Patrol granted a new charter, naming the squadron Pomona Valley Cadet Squadron 25 (later re-established as Cable Composite Squadron 25).
Cadets performing comm operations at an exercise
Cadets performing comm operations at an exercise
In 1956, discussions of a merger with nearby Pomona Squadron began. On November 15th, 1961, the National Board of Civil Air Patrol granted a new charter, naming the squadron Pomona Valley Cadet Squadron 25 (later re-established as Cable Composite Squadron 25).

Location

Cable Airport
1749 W 13th St
Upland, CA 91786

Thursday Meetings

Cadets:
6:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m.

Seniors:
7:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m.

Visitors always welcome!

Upcoming Events

References:
Cable Airport – 50 Years of Service by Larry Bledsoe (1994)
History of Cable Composite Squadron by George White (2002)
Old Baldy Squadron 87 Historical Scrapbook